So what worries IT executives about using Chat?
Traditionally Enterprises have stayed away from, allowing the use of Chat/IM within their enterprises. The reason being that the use of Chat is considered as a tool for casual conversations not suited for official communications. Click here to read an opinion on why IT executives are worried about employees using chat apps
So what are the main concerns of using Chat in business?
- Lack of control on who can use chat and from which devices?
- Lack of record of all conversations which take place among employees. (Any discussion done on any medium is company property after all)
- Using free community apps for business, increases risk since the data is no more in your control.
So how does Chat help my business?
While IT executives highlighted the above mentioned concerns, at the same time, they felt the need for an enterprise chat system. To quote from the article mentioned above –
“In a survey more than three-quarters (77 percent) of enterprise IT executives indicate a highly secure, simple and intuitive internal messaging service would be valuable compared to their current enterprise communication system.”
Chat can provide a quicker, faster way to exchange information and ideas. Businesses stand to lose a lot of productivity gain by not making chat an integral part of their communication and collaboration strategy. By allowing for on-going and interactive conversations to move to chat, business can also gain the benefit of de-cluttering the mail boxes and in turn helping improve productivity.
Alright I am convinced, so how can we make chat usable for my business?
To make chat usable by businesses, 2 critical features become necessary,
- All chat conversations must be recorded on the server in an archive, just like email archival and should be retrievable on demand.
- The business can control the use of chat by using access policies.
With these features in place, you can safely enable chat in your workplace and gain a newer level of productivity.
If you are not already using secure chat in your organisation, try Mithi’s enterprise secure chat feature, which incorporates more than just these 2 critical features and goes further with features like secure transmissions over SSL, defining scope of chat communications, etc to enable a secure and productive collaboration environment.